Bath bombs are the in-thing nowadays. Given their ability to give you a great bath right at home, they have become one of the most essential items in the bathroom.
You can add essential oils and salts to your bath bomb ingredients to further spice up your bath. But what are the best essential oils for bath bombs? If you want to make your own bath bombs at home, these are the oils you should try to add the best fragrances as well as health benefits.
In a nutshell, the best essential oils you should try are Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, bergamot, wild orange and others mentioned below.
Best Essential Oils to Use in Bath Bomb Recipes
The good news is that you are not restricted to a single essential oil. In fact, you can get the benefits of as many oils as you want if you mix them up correctly. For this reason, we will be focusing on both mixtures and single essential oils that you can use.
Here are the best essential oils for bath bomb recipes you can try at home:
1. Ginger essential oil
The ginger plant has many benefits that have been widely documented. These benefits are mostly internal. However, the external benefits are as great.
Essential ginger oil has higher amounts of the gingerol, the active ingredient in ginger, than the root of the plant. You can use the oil on the skin or in your food to gain the benefits of this plant.
When used in your bath, the ginger essential oil will give you a feeling of self-assurance given its name as the ‘oil of empowerment’.
It also has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant properties which will improve your skin.
Studies also show that it helps improve your sexual desire as it is a natural aphrodisiac.
2. Grapeseed essential oil
Grapeseed oil is made from grape seeds. After grapes are pressed and the grape seeds left behind, these seeds find use as sources of grapeseed essential oil.
This oil has many polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) such as omega-6 fatty acids. It also contains copious amounts of Vitamin E which is an antioxidant.
On the skin, this oil has the following benefits:
- Heals acne
- Tightens skin pores
- Removes makeup completely
- Moisturizes the skin
- Lightens the skin
- Reduces scar appearance
- Fights free radicals that cause dry and aged skin
- Improves the appearance of your hair and the scalp
- Fights dandruff
- Keeps rashes at bay
- Prevents baldness
As seen here, grapeseed essential oil should be part of the ingredients of your bath bomb.
3. Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil is sourced from the lemon fruit’s peel and has many health benefits to the user. Among its benefits when used as an ingredient in your bath bombs include:
- Elevating your mood
- Treating acne
- Treating warts and athlete’s foot
These benefits will be realized if your bath bombs have the right amount of this essential oil.
4. Eucalyptus essential oil (best fragrance)
To obtain eucalyptus essential oil, the leaves of select eucalyptus species are pressed. The trees with the perfect eucalyptus essential oil are the gum tree and the fever tree.
This essential oil has pain relief, anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic, and antibiotic properties. Its great aroma also helps decongest the breathing system. Owing to these properties, its inclusion in your bath bombs will do you great good after each bath.
5. Rose essential oil
Rose essential oil comes from select rose plants and it contains a lot of great benefits for the skin. Its benefits when included in your bath bombs include:
- Great fragrance
- Clearing acne
- Hydrating dry skin
- Reducing aging signs
- Minimization of scars’ appearance
- Works against rosacea, eczema and other such conditions.
Owing to its high concentration, rose essential oil should never be taken internally (through the mouth).
6. Clove essential oil (antibacterial)
Extracted from cloves, clove essential oil is a great addition to your bath owing to its many benefits to the skin. Among the benefits include:
- Antibacterial properties which allow it to fight acne, candida and other microbes.
- Antioxidant properties allow it to prevent aging, viruses and bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory properties which give it a soothing effect on the skin.
Clove essential oil in your bath bomb, as seen here, is a great addition.
7. Ylang Ylang essential oil
The Cananga tree (Cananga odorata) is native to India but grows in many tropic regions around the world. Also called the Ylang Ylang (pronounced ee-lang ee-lang) tree, it stands out for its flowers which have a pleasant aroma.
While it has many benefits, we shall focus on the ones you obtain when you use it in your bath. They are as follows:
- Boosting the growth and strength of your hair.
- It has antiseborrheic properties that work against Seborrhoea (seborrheic eczema) and reduces its effects. This property also enables it to work against other skin conditions such as irritations, dermatitis, and acne.
- Antiseptic properties which prevent the infection of wounds on your skin.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aphrodisiac properties that enhance your sexual desire.
- Maintains the oil and moisture balance of the skin
As a word of caution, use Ylang Ylang oil in small recommended amounts.
8. Vetiver essential oil
Known also as khus oil, vetiver essential oil is extracted from the vetiver perennial grass that is native to India. The extraction process is the steam distillation of the roots of this grass.
The uses for this essential oil in your bath bombs include:
- Adding a calming aroma in your bath.
- Antiseptic properties.
- Antispasmodic qualities.
- Balances the oil and moisture in the skin.
- Aphrodisiac properties.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
These and many other benefits can be obtained from this essential oil once you combine it with other ingredients in your bath bomb.
9. Sandalwood essential oil
Sandalwood essential oil has a sweet and woodsy smell which has made it a favorite in perfumes, incense, aftershave, and cosmetics.
The best type of sandalwood essential oil is the one from old trees and which would have extracted through carbon dioxide extraction and not steam distillation. The latter method is not the best since it involves heat which can denature the oil making it less effective.
Its benefits include:
- Reducing the growth of skin cancer cells.
- Used to relieve anxiety m depression and stress.
- It is a natural aphrodisiac as it improves your sexual desire.
- It works as an astringent which helps cleanse, tighten and soothe the skin. This works well as an aftershave.
- Antiviral and antiseptic properties to keep the skin free of germs and other microbes.
- Anti-inflammatory properties which make it one of the best soothing oils for skin irritations such as insect bites.
- Antioxidant properties which make it work against aging radicals, eczema, acne, common warts, psoriasis and other conditions.
Being a strong essential oil, do a small test patch on the skin to gauge its effects on your skin. If you see no adverse results, you can add it to your bath bomb and reap its benefits. For the best results, go for sandalwood essential oil that is 100% pure.
10. Tea tree essential oil
Perhaps one of the most famous essential oils is tea tree essential oil. Made from the Melaleuca alternifolia plant’s leaves, this oil has many benefits to your skin if included in your bath bombs.
The benefits include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties that make it soothe the skin.
- Antiviral properties make it a potent viral fighter on your skin.
- It has properties which make it a good treatment for athlete’s foot.
- Treats cradle cap and dandruff owing to its medicinal properties.
- Treats nail fungus owing to its anti-fungal properties.
- Its antibacterial properties work on a broad spectrum basis meaning they work on a large number of bacteria.
- Treats acne and its symptoms.
- Treats contact dermatitis and its symptoms.
- Tea tree essential oil is the best treatment for head lice.
A few drops of this essential oil in your bath bombs’ ingredients will see you enjoy these benefits of the tea tree oil essential oil.
11. Cedarwood essential oil
Cedarwood essential oil comes from the cedar tree. Owing to its large amount of components such as widdrol , thujopsene, cedrol and others, cedarwood essential oil is packed with benefits for your body. If you include it in your bath, you will reap these benefits among them the ones on our list below:
- Treatment of eczema.
- Soothing a dry scalp.
- Promotion of hair growth.
- Has antiseptic properties to keep microbes at bay.
- Its aroma acts as a natural deodorant.
- It has anti-fungal properties to fight fungi.
- Acts as a stress-reliever.
- Treats acne and other such skin conditions.
With these properties, cedarwood essential oil stands as one of the best ingredients to add to your bath bombs.
12. Peppermint essential oil
To obtain the highly beneficial peppermint essential oil, water mint is mixed with spearmint. Peppermint has many benefits to the user no wonder it has been in use for as far back as a millennia. Its uses go beyond the skin to include the internal organs.
Among its famed benefits are the following:
- It improves the outlook of your skin and provides protection and relief from sunburn.
- It has antiallergenic properties to keep at bay the effects of allergies on your body as a whole.
- It also kills off dandruff while promoting the growth of strong hair.
- Pain relief owing to its antispasmodic effects on the muscles. The cooling effect you feel helps your muscles recover and relax.
Peppermint is available in shops and its many uses can be experienced right at home once you add it to your bath bomb recipes.
13. Sweet orange essential oil
Sweet orange essential oil, regularly referred to simply as orange oil, comes from the peel of the common sweet orange fruit. Due to having many beneficial components, sweet orange essential oil has been added to many household products among them medicines, shampoos and lotions.
With this essential oil in your bath bombs, you are bound to enjoy these benefits from it:
- Has antibacterial properties to fight disease-causing microbes.
- Anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the skin.
- Pain reliever.
- Calms the mind.
- A natural sedative to give you deep and restorative sleep.
- Protects and heals the skin.
- Fights acne and other skin conditions.
Sweet orange essential oil is a mild oil that will rarely harm you.
14. Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary essential oil comes from a small plant of the mint family. The oil comes from the flowers and leaves of the plant and it has found use in many areas of life. Combining it with your other bath bomb ingredients will lead to the following benefits:
- Promotes healthy hair growth and prevents its loss.
- Lowers the level of cortisol in the body which in turn ensures no chronic diseases affect you.
- Antioxidant properties keep a check on your aging process by combating free radicals.
While this essential oil has uses for your body internally, we focused on the external ones as they are what you obtain from your bath bombs.
15. Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil has been in use as far back as the age of the Egyptian pharaohs owing to its great benefits in aromatherapy. It works as an anti-inflammatory medication, treating acne and uplifting moods. Combine this oil with other ingredients in your bath bombs to lessen fatigue and enjoy the other benefits as well.
16. Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is the most used essential oil in the world. Not just the number of users, but the number of uses as well. Among its many benefits include the following:
- Healing wounds and burns
- Reducing acne
- Restoring the skin complexion
- Antioxidant properties that keep free radicals at bay thus slowing the aging process
- Relieving pain.
Lavender essential oil does not harm the skin or body owing to its mild nature.
17. Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil comes from the lemongrass herb. Not to be confused with lemon essential oil, this type of oil comes from a herb (not a fruit). Among its many benefits are the following:
- Stress reliever.
- Antioxidant effects prevent aging on your skin.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the skin.
- Boosts the growth of hair and ensures no hair loss.
- Antibacterial properties to fight microbes on the skin.
- Anti-fungal properties to fight germs.
- Cleans and protects your skin.
- A natural deodorant.
As you can see from this list, the benefits of having this oil in your bath bombs are many.
18. Clary sage essential oil
While clary sage essential oil is famed for its role in controlling the menstrual cycle, it has many benefits on the skin that make it a wonder oil. Adding a few drops of this oil to your bath bomb ingredients will give you the following benefits:
- Killing bacteria and fungi on the skin.
- Promotes healthy skin.
Do not use this essential oil during pregnancy given its side effects.
19. The nirvana mix
If all you need is a lifting of your spirits and emotions, there is no better mix of essential oils than the ones on this list:
- Geranium (2 drops)
- Roman chamomile (1 drop)
- Lavender (3 drops)
- Bergamot (1 drop)
This is a delicate combination which needs the exact drops to obtain the desired results.
20. The relaxation mix
For the days when you come from work all worn out and want something that will relax you and send you into deep sleep, the proper mix of essential oils in your bath bomb can give you exactly that. For this mixture, we will need the following essential oils:
- Red mandarin (2 drops)
- Marjoram (1 drop)
- Lavender (3 drops)
- Chamomile (1 drop)
- Sandalwood (1 drop)
When your bath bomb has these oils, your night will be a peaceful one.
21. The romantic mix
Having someone special coming over? How about a love-filled bath with the right essential oils?
On our list of the best essential oils for a romantic bath are:
- Patchouli (3 drops)
- Bergamot (3 drops)
- Ylang Ylang (5 drops)
- Wild orange (3 drops)
Once you add these oils to your bath bombs, your mood will be heightened each time you step into your bathtub.
Thank me later!
22. The boosting mix
This mix of essential oils is called so as it boosts your immunity and has a detoxifying effect on your body. For those who take alcohol, it is a great one if you have a hangover and need to get rid of it fast.
The ingredients are as follows:
- Geranium (3 drops)
- Tea tree (2 drops)
- Rosemary (3 drops)
- Lavender (2 drops)
These oils will give you the most revitalizing of baths and project you against common illnesses such as flu and the cold.
23. The soothing mix
For a most soothing bath, you can blend three essential oils namely;
You mix 3 drops of each of the oils as ingredients in your bath bomb then follow the procedure for the rest of the bath bomb.
This mixture has various benefits including diffusing seasonal allergies given the nature of the ingredients.
Some essential oils may irritate some types of skins and it is advised that you try them on your skin beforehand. This will give you a picture of what to expect if you used them in your bath. These include:
- Black pepper and others.
However, while some may be irritating to the skin on their own, mixing with other ingredients may counteract these effects leading to soothing baths all the same.
How to Choose a Good Bath Bomb Essential Oil
An essential oil is a natural oil which is obtained through distillation or other suitable method. They have the natural characteristic odor of that plant.
Not all essential oils are created equal. Some are good for specific types of skins while others cover a wider spectrum.
To be on the safe side, you need to go for the wider-spectrum ones since chances are high that your skin type will be covered. Also, do a skin latch test for the oil of your choice first.