Finding the perfect shower head for your needs can be a daunting task given the many choices online and in stores. There are simple rain shower heads you can pick from. Others come as a combo in which there’s a handheld wand beside the overhead shower. Still, others come with speakers, lights and other features that may interest you.
The most common type of shower head is the rain shower head. This can be found in most homes and it’s the focus of our review. Our review focuses on the price, the number of features, the longevity and other aspects dictating the choice of a rain shower head.
Best Rain Shower Heads (Reviews)
The list of the 7 best rain showerheads has the most satisfying showerheads based on our research and customer reviews on various platforms. After the list, the features you need to look for in a rain showerhead are explained.
#1 BEST OVERALL
1. Moen S6320 Velocity Rainshower
We rated the Moen S6320 showerhead highest because of its features and functionality. It is the best showerhead when all the important aspects are considered. It has a simple circular look yet packs lots of features in its small frame.
Having the ability to switch the flow of the rain shower is a very important feature to have. The Moen S6320 does this quite cleverly with the inclusion of a small lever just behind the array of holes on the showerhead.
This lever allows you to switch from a relaxing full shower with water coming from the 100 holes, or a highly pressurized one from the middle 30 holes.
To achieve the high pressure, the Moen S6320 comes with the Immersion Rainshower Technology, which is a self-pressurizing mechanism to force water out of the holes.
Besides these features, this showerhead has a simple yet beautiful design. The head is a circle 8 inches across and comes in brushed gold, chrome, nickel, and oil-rubbed bronze finishes.
- Medium price for its features.
- Self-pressurizing Moen Immersion Rainshower Technology for a high-pressure shower. This is attained by the easy-to-reach lever behind the showerhead. The feature allows it to deliver 2.5 gallons of water per minute (which is the highest allowable pressure in a showerhead in the U.S.).
- Simple yet unique and beautiful finishes. The shower itself is a classic circular design with a flat base with the holes in a spiraling design. Combined with the brushed gold, chrome, nickel, and oil-rubbed bronze finishes, they truly stand out.
- It’s the perfect size for its two modes and for showerheads in general. With a diameter of 8 inches, the Moen S6320 is wide enough for the water to cover the whole body from above.
- It comes with Moen’s Limited Lifetime Warranty giving you peace of mind.
- Easy to install as it doesn’t need any special features in your bathroom.
- Rubber spray nozzles are easy to clean whenever you need to.
- The 8-inch diameter may not be enough for all people.
- The angle of spray when mounted on the wall may not be optimal in replicating the rain shower feeling.
This showerhead comes out the best because of its mid-level pricing and its two modes which allow you to choose between high and low-pressure shower modes.
The showerhead itself is 8 inches in diameter and has 100 nozzles. In the high-pressure mode, 30 of the middle holes eject water at high pressure. In the low-pressure mode, all 100 holes eject water at a moderate and relaxing speed.
Besides these neat adjustments, it comes in brushed gold, chrome, nickel, and oil-rubbed bronze finishes to match whatever bathroom finish you have. Lastly, it has a lifetime warranty from Moen against dripping and leaking.
2. SR SUN RISE SRSH-F5043
The SRSH-F5043 is another great rain showerhead that comes with a long list of vital features. It comes in configurations of either 10 inches or 12 inches. That’s already larger than most showerheads on the market.
It also comes in various finishes namely polished chrome, brushed nickel, matte black, and oil-rubbed bronze. You also get a handheld showerhead that’s meticulously made to match the main showerhead’s finish.
It’s a wall-mounted showerhead that also comes with a pressure balancing shower valve to ensure you get just the right pressure for your shower. Even better, it also comes with an anti-scald feature to prevent pouring hot water over your body by accident.
The brass shower bracket holder with the solid brass pressure balancing shower mixer valve are both concealed within your shower wall leaving only the knobs for you to control. These parts give you high water pressure at the right temperature even when your inlet has low water pressure.
The result of these features is a large shower that pours water at high pressure at the right temperature. If you need the water at another angle, you can use the handheld showerhead that matches the pressure and temperature of the main shower.
- Reasonable midrange price.
- A large head with configurations of 10 or 12 inches.
- Various beautiful and lasting finishes to choose from such as polished chrome, brushed nickel, matte black, and oil-rubbed bronze.
- An anti-scald feature that keeps the water temperature steady even when the inlet temperature changes suddenly.
- A pressure-balancing shower valve.
- Handled-held showerhead with its wall-mounted holder.
- The showerhead comes with a ball socket which allows various angles of water flow.
- For most people, the 10 or 12 inches of the showerhead can be too large as it also uses lots of water.
3. KOJOX Shower System with High-Pressure Rainfall Shower Head
The KOJOX Shower System has various features including the large 12-inch showerhead, the shower arm, and the water pressurizing system that provides water at a high speed.
Other notable features include the anti-scald feature that maintains the water temperature within the settings you choose. Even when the temperature of the water suddenly changes, you’ll not feel that change yourself.
Perhaps the most unique feature of the KOJOX is that it comes in matte colors such as black, gold and chrome. This, however, isn’t the typical matte color that easily comes off when the item is put to the test.
KOJOX uses a ten-layer electroplating process which means the finish is tough. The finish has a frosted surface which ensures that stains such as fingerprints don’t stick on it. KOJOX has even tested the surface for damage and corrosion with a 720-hour salt spray test with excellent results.
- 12-inch square rain showerhead made of stainless steel.
- A shower arm made of stainless steel as well. This arm has a brass holder on the wall.
- A brass water control valve for maintaining the required water temperature to prevent scalding or temperature drops.
- The water control valve unit also houses the air pressurization system to increase water pressure.
- Matte colors that don’t come off even in harsh conditions.
- The shower arm can get slippery when in use. This is due to the soap in the user’s hands but it’s not too slippery to risk damage.
4. MeSun 12 Inch Showerhead with 11 Inch Adjustment Extension Arm Chrome
If there’s a great showerhead you can have at a bargain, then few beat the MeSun 12-inch. Going for a fraction of the price of premium showerheads and packing similar features, this showerhead is as good as they come.
The showerhead features a 12-inch square head in a flat and simplistic design that will make your bathroom look great. The head is made of durable stainless steel that won’t corrode or break easily.
What earns the MeSun showerhead a position on our list is that it outdoes many premium units at a fraction of the price. Besides a high and large showerhead in quality materials, self-pressurizing mechanisms, costing a few tens of dollars, the MeSun showerhead is adjustable to give you just the right angle and distance as you take your shower.
- Very low price for its features.
- Large 12-inch showerhead.
- Stainless steel head for longevity due to resistance to corrosion.
- Chrome finish that doesn’t come off easily.
- Adjustable showerhead with the 11-inch brass arm without leaks or breakages. The adjustment can be done on the arm and just above the showerhead at 360 degrees.
- Easy installation with compatibility for most showers.
- The self-pressurizing mechanism maintains water pressure even if the supply has low pressure.
- Flexible silicone nozzles prevent the accumulation of limescale thus avoiding blockages.
- The extension arm may be too short for some bathrooms.
5. AquaDance 7-Inch Premium High Pressure 3-Way Rainfall Combo
The size of the showerhead is not always the basis for most people. Rather, it is the features that set the showerhead aside. The 7-inch AquaDance rainfall combo is among the smallest of showerheads yet earns the 5th spot on our list after many reviews owing to its features.
The main showerhead and arm have a combined 30 shower settings (12 full and 18 combined settings). Essentially, both the shower and arm have 6 shower settings namely Pulsating Massage, Rain/Massage, Water Saving Pause Mode, Power Rain, Power Mist, and the Rain/Mist setting. All settings can be attained with a simple flick of the switch.
Besides the arm being detachable from the main shower, it can also be attached and adjusted for a hands-free experience. The arm stays in position all thanks to the anti-swivel position lock nut that it comes with.
It also comes with a self-pressurizing mechanism to increase the pressure in the showerhead and arm as well.
- Very affordable.
- Comes in chrome, oil-rubbed bronze and brushed nickel finishes.
- The click-lever dial enables you to change the water settings with ease.
- Features the 3-Way Diverter technology which enables the use of each shower either on its own or both at the same time.
- The water-saving mode is great for saving water on moving dwellings like boats or RVs.
- Easy to clean the shower due to rub-clean jets.
- Easy installation.
- Angle-adjustable bracket with a 3-way diverter.
- 6 shower settings for the shower and arm (Pulsating Massage, Power Rain, Rain/Massage, Power Mist, Rain/Mist, and Water Saving Pause Mode) for a total of 30 settings (12 Full and 18 combined).
- The angle of the shower (being a wall-mounted shower) may not be ideal.
6. ALFI Brand RAIN16R 16-Inch Solid Round Ultra Thin Rain Showerhead
If you’re in the market for a simple yet elegant showerhead, few options will beat the ALFI RAIN16R 16-Inch. 16 inches is as large as a showerhead can get on this list. However, this one doesn’t only offer size but beauty and functionality as well.
The brushed stainless steel showerhead is circular and only 2mm thick. The result is a clean and minimalist look that will definitely complement your bathroom.
It also comes with a swivel to suit the angle you wish.
- Large 16-inch showerhead with 234 nozzles.
- Stainless steel structure for longevity.
- The clear rubber nozzles make it easy to clean and unclog the showerhead.
- It doesn’t have a self-pressurizing mechanism for low-pressure situations.
7. American Standard 1660.683.002 10-Inch Modern Rain Easy Clean Showerhead
Finishing off our list of the best rain showerheads is a household brand in American Standard. It comes with a 10-inch head that swivels to your liking. It’s made of brass and given a lifetime warranty as an assurance of its longevity.
With a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute, you’ll be happy having bought this unit.
- Medium pricing.
- 10-inch circular head mounted to the ceiling.
- Brass finish that doesn’t rust or corrode.
- The head swivels in various directions.
- Lacks a self-pressurizing mechanism.
Depending on your needs, one of these showerheads is bound to serve you the best way possible. The features such as the size of the showerhead, amount of pressure generated and others are all subjective to the user.
Types of Rain Shower Heads
Knowing the types of rain showerheads makes it easy choosing the one that best suits your needs. The main types of rain showerheads are as follows:
1. Fixed Rain Showerheads
Fixed rain showerheads are the most common ones. These ones are mounted to the wall of your bathroom without having the capability of moving around with joints and swivels. A single bracket is used for this type of showerhead.
You can choose from various designs and sizes but all don’t come with the ability to swivel around or change the angle of flow. However, other features such as the ability to change the amount and flow of water are still available.
If you’re limited in space such as in a small bathroom or an RV, these are the best showerheads.
2. Ceiling Arm Rain Showerheads
True to their name, ceiling arm rain shower heads are mounted on to the ceiling of your bathroom. They’re best suited to spacious bathrooms as they add some luxury to them.
They come in various designs and sizes similar to the other types of rain showerheads.
3. Wall Arm Showerheads
These are similar to the fixed rain showerheads given that they’re also mounted to the wall. However, the arm is not fixed like in the fixed category, rather, they can be extended outward and sideways into other areas of the bathroom.
Choosing the right type of rain showerhead depends on factors such as the size of your bathroom and aesthetic considerations.
Buying Guide – Features to Look For in a Rainfall Shower Head
When in the market for a showerhead, you need to consider the following aspects:
Quality of the Spray
This refers to the type of spray you expect from the showerhead. There are simple raindrops from some showerheads. However, you can get some drops that are mixed with mist, some are sprayed, some are mixed with air, and still, some mimic exact raindrops in nature. You should compare and settle on the best one for you.
Type of Showerhead and Ease of Use
For the types, you have a choice between wall-mounted and ceiling-mounted. Both types have been discussed above. The choice you make will be based largely on the size of your bathroom and other personal preferences.
Similar to the type, the size of your showerhead determines whether it’ll fit in your bathroom or not. Beyond that, you can also base your choice on size keeping in mind the coverage area. It’s clear that a 16-inch showerhead will cover a larger area compared to a 7-inch one.
The build quality of your showerhead determines how long and how well it’ll serve you. Given that it’s an item that will be in constant contact with water, you’ll need a material that is resistant to corrosion.
Brass, chrome and stainless steel are among the materials you should consider for this reason.
Going hand-in-hand with the aspect of durability is the duration of the warranty. Typically speaking, the longer the warranty provided for a product, the better it’s quality.
As such, go for the showerheads with the longest warranties. Some even have lifetime warranties for the best quality assurance.
While most showerheads are rated to run at a maximum of 2.5 gallons a minute, you’ll be comfortable even with lower pressure levels. The general consensus with showerheads, however, is that the more the pressure, the better it is.
With most showerheads having a mechanism to boost the pressure to the maximum if it falls below the limit above, it’s not hard finding what you want.
The style refers to the color and design of the showerhead. In this regard, you’re considering one that complements your bathroom in color, design and size.
Some showerheads come with features that improve your bathroom experience greatly. Some come with built-in speakers, LED lights and many other nifty features.
Rain showerheads are among the best types of showerheads you can use for your home. Not only do they provide great experience when it comes to their use, they also cost relatively cheaper than other showerhead types.
The top 7 rain showerheads above are a clear indication that you can get the showerhead you want at an affordable price but with lots of great features.